Who We Are
The purpose of Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary School is to provide a Catholic community that fosters the religious and academic development of the individual student in a safe and welcoming learning environment.
Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary School creates a supportive Catholic community committed to the Gospel message that calls us to faith, service, and worship. An environment of respect, peace and justice fosters an appreciation of God’s gift of life in all people. Each student is empowered to develop their own potential, which will lead to excellence in academics, athletic activities and the fine arts.
Why you should attend our Preschool?
Presentation Preschool is a ministry of Presentation of Mary Church. We offer exceptional programs for children preschool through school age. All programs operate in the lower level of the school.
Our practices nurture children in the 5 core areas of development: social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and spiritual. We believe that children learn through both play and meaningful academic opportunities and our curriculum reflects a balance of these education practices. Children are like snowflakes; each one unique, yet posses many similar qualities. Our Preschool approach is a child-initiated, teacher supported environment; where the teacher designs the environment to encompass many different meaningful activities and learning styles. Progress is monitored regularly and close home-school communication is an essential component of Presentation Preschool programming.
Presentation Preschool offers:
- Teachers and support staff with their degrees in education
- A commitment to research-based curriculum models and methods
- Flexible, high-quality programming
- Low teacher and support staff turn over
- All programs housed in the same building as the school
- Exceptional specialists included daily
- Mentor programs with the school
- A smooth transition between Preschool and Kindergarten
Six Reasons to Choose Presentation for Kindergarten
1. Faith Formation – Presentation of Mary’s mission is to instill faith in every student. Kindergarteners at Presentation pray daily and attend weekly masses along with the rest of the school community. They participate in Religion lessons each day and engage in activities that help them foster Christian values and attitudes while learning about Jesus.
2. A Full Day of Learning – Your Kindergartener will reap huge benefits by being at school for a full day and will have additional time to master the skills needed to be successful. In fact, research shows that students who are in a full day Kindergarten program see emotional and intellectual advantages well into middle school. Our full day program also means that students have Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Computer and Library each week, just like the older students.
3. Superkids Reading Program – The Superkids reading program is a comprehensive reading and language arts program for grades K-2. It is based on scientific research that shows that phonics-based instruction is the best way to teach children to read. Students read engaging fiction and nonfiction and are motivated by the Superkids characters who help make reading fun. Nationwide studies and our own assessments of current students testify to the effectiveness of the Superkids curriculum.
4. Reading/Math Support Specialist – Not only does our Kindergarten teacher offer differentiated instruction tailored to your child’s needs, but she is supported by a Reading/Math Support Specialist. Our specialist works with all children in Kindergarten, First and Second Grade to ensure that they have the support they need to be successful. Regular assessments and updates from the specialist allow the classroom teacher and parents to see exactly how each child is progressing.
5. Technology Integration – Presentation of Mary’s teachers and leadership are committed to providing instruction that is consistent with the digital world that surrounds your child. This is why we have a SMART interactive white board in the Kindergarten classroom, a cart of iPads, and a 21st century resource room. At Presentation, children take advantage of the interactivity and engagement that 21st century tools offer to accelerate and enhance their learning, with teachers who know how to implement them.
6. Buddy Program – Kindergarteners are paired up with eighth graders and form a bond that lasts long after the eighth grader has graduated. Eighth graders sit with the Kindergarteners at Mass, read with them, and participate in a multitude of activities throughout the school year. Your child will be greeted with a high five and a smile by his eighth grade buddy every single day, and will also mix with students from other grade levels in special activities led by the Student Council. This unique program was featured in a KARE 11 news segment called “What’s Cool In Our School” (below):
Kindergarten is a time of both social and academic growth for children. Our goal at Presentation is to provide students with a year full of challenges and learning experiences that will enhance the whole child.
Each day the children participate in language arts, hands on math activities, science, and religious studies. Throughout the week the students also have the opportunity to study physical education, music, social studies and Spanish. Students also attend and participate in weekly school masses. Here at Presentation we teach each child by individualizing the curriculum to meet each student’s needs. Every child is given what they need while the learning outcome is being met.
Little minds learn best when they are engaged in experiences that are relevant and interesting. We focus on multi-sensory learning, using phonemic awareness, alphabet knowledge and programs such as Handwriting Without Tears™. Leaning through music and other developmentally appropriate activities are also a key component of the daily curriculum.
Our Intermediate Grades at Presentation
In our intermediate grades, students learn to communicate effectively by mastering the steps of the writing process; prewriting, drafting, revising, proofreading and publishing a completed product. Throughout these formative years, teachers coach students to grow in responsibility and independence. They challenge students to work to their full potential and to strive for academic excellence.
In these grade levels, students learn to develop work habits, strong social skills, and organizational abilities. These years are a time to nurture creativity and explore new concepts; a time to learn more about God and practice Catholic values.
Our teachers continually assess student progress, learning styles and social needs as well as lead parent/teacher/student conferences.
Students are taught to:
- Show respect for others
- Use strengths and gifts appropriately to enrich our community
- Demonstrate integrity
- Develop decision making skills
- Resolve conflict peacefully
Our Middle Grades at Presentation
Presentation of Mary Middle School is one in which motivated and talented students and staff work together to promote learning and growth.
Middle School marks an important transition in a young student’s character development and spiritual growth.
We encourage our middle school students to become actively involved in their classes as well as extra-curricular activities including athletics, fine arts and leadership experiences.
Special emphasis is placed on preparing our middle school students for high school academic success, including building self-esteem, confidence, as well as improving communication, writing, listening, study skills, time management, organization, and note taking.
Our 6th grade students have a unique opportunity to spend a week of environmental studies at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center in Northern Minnesota.
Our Specialties at Presentation!
At Presentation, our role as specialists is to broaden our student’s learning experience beyond the core curriculum. We promote the development of life long skills and an appreciation for the value of technology, fine arts, and physical education. Collectively, we aim to bring each student into confident possession of his or her God given talents.
Our Spanish curriculum, for all grades, incorporates reading, speaking, action, humor and singing.
Students develop computer literacy in our Technology Center with updated computer hardware, an expanded software library, and high speed internet access in every classroom.
Art – All Grades
Presentation’s Art education classes are designed to encourage perceptual awareness, through the involvement of all of the senses, and allows for the integration of other curricula, as art readily relates to all educational experiences. Students are encouraged to display their art, and establish a continuing portfolio for the purpose of review of art vocabulary/concepts, and for assessment of growth. Art projects may include but are not limited to: Drawing, Painting, Sculpting, Printmaking, Assembling, Imaging.
Band – Grade 4 – 8
The Band Program at Presentation School is part of the Parish Schools Band Program directed by Hill Murray School. The Parish Schools Band Program is dedicated to helping each student reach his/her full creative potential in instrumental music. For more information on Parish Schools Band please contact Hill Murray at (651)748-2414 or visit: http://www.hill-murray.org/band.asp
Our School Library & Media Center
The Presentation of Mary School Library and Media Center is a positive, welcoming environment whose mission is to teach students to become information literate and promote a love of life-long literacy. Our library circulation continues to grow since the introduction of Accelerated Reader, and we know that our children’s literacy and learning power will multiply as a result.
Sports at Presentation
Thanks to parents, coaches and teacher encouragement, 94% of our students in grades 5-8 participate in athletics allowing us to field teams in cross country, soccer, volleyball, swimming, basketball, track & field, baseball and fast pitch softball.
Presentation of Mary School encourages each student athlete to develop his or her skills at a level that also challenges them to be their best.